CIAMS Affiliate Groups
You are here
Below you can find a list of CIAMS affiliates, groups whose work directly involves CIAMS students and faculty or indirectly relates to the ongoing research or goals of CIAMS.
Anti-racism and Anti-colonialism (ARCO) Interest Group
The Anti-racism and Anti-colonialism (ARCO) Interest Group is an organization geared toward uprooting systemic racism in archaeological practice and pedagogy by facilitating productive discussions and providing anti-racist programming for the CIAMS community. Our current projects include:
- Facilitation of follow-up discussions between students and faculty about the seminar series hosted by the Society of Black Archaeologists (SBA), Indigenous Archaeology Collective (IAC), Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research, SAPIENS, and Cornell Institute of Archaeology and Material Studies seminar series.
- Organization of reading group discussions for all members of the CIAMS community that focus on texts that consider the historical and current role of colonialism in archaeology.
- Organization of a student-led reading group and town hall in order to discuss issues of importance for the Cornell graduate student community.
- Curation of an anti-colonial and anti-racist reading list with a focus on publications in archaeology.
- Development of a fieldwork and laboratory code of conduct.
Archaeological Science Group
The Archaeological Science Group at Cornell (ArchSci@Cornell) is an association of graduate students affiliated with CIAMS and with the Cornell Graduate and Professional Student Assembly (GPSA) dedicated to promoting the ethical and responsible application of scientific methods to archaeological questions in order to advance archaeological research within the university and beyond. Our core activities include:
- Regular discussions of articles at the leading edge of archaeological science
- Organizing talks from working archaeological scientists
- Curating a list of archaeological science resources and facilities for Cornell archaeologists and archaeological scientists
- A dissertation writing group funded by the Society for the Humanities, where Cornell students using archaeological science can help each other to develop their ideas and improve their research
- Hosting virtual happy hours for early career archaeological scientists in North America and beyond
CampusGroups link: https://cornell.campusgroups.com/cuarchsci/home/